Air conditioners play very significant roles in our offices, homes and in many other places. They provide adequate and constant ventilation and also maintain suitable humidity. Additionally, they blow away harmful micro organisms, soot, dust and other unwanted foreign substances from the air and also cool rooms when the temperature is too high. There are several benefits of servicing your air conditioner on a regular basis. Servicing keeps it functioning at 95% of its original effectiveness and efficiency. As a result, you save lots of money that you would have otherwise spent on paying huge electricity bills. Regular servicing substantially reduces chances of your unit breaking down when you least expect it. If you don’t want to spend lots of money on repairs, consider regularly servicing your unit. Regular servicing extends the unit’s life, makes it safer and also improves its overall performance.
The following is a thorough aircon servicing guide that provides valuable information on how to service air conditioners.
How to clean the air conditioner
1. Ensure that the power is turned off by either shutting of the unit’s circuit breaker or turning off the switch.
2. Check the copper pipe that usually connects an air conditioner to the house. If you find that it’s unusually hot, wash it as soon as you can. Extreme temperature is an indication of accumulation of dirt that needs to be removed.
3. Get rid of any foreign matter that clings to the unit before you start the whole servicing process.
4. Remove the unit’s cover and try to establish where the coils are located. Most of them resemble car radiators.
5. Brush of any debris and/or dirt from the outside cover using a soft brush.
6. Ensure the wiring and motor is completely covered using a plastic sheet.
7. Thoroughly wash the unit’s interior, including the coils and fins.
8. Carefully read through the owner’s manual. If it states that the motor should be lubricated, do so while the air conditioner is open.
9. Replace the cover and switch it on to find out if it works properly. It’s very important to replace the filter after every few months. The filter is usually fixed close to the return air-duct.
How to ensure that the air conditioner functions effectively and efficiently
A. Commence the process at the unit’s thermostat or control. Turn on the aircon and ensure that it starts up and also runs smoothly. If this isn’t the case, consider calling a technician.
B. Listen carefully to determine if the unit produces any strange noises. If the motor produces noise that sounds like knocking or squealing, get in touch with a technician as soon as you can. Strange noise is often an indication that the motor needs to be replaced or lubricated.
C. As a tenant who is concerned about you own safety, you certainly possess a hand-held thermometer in the house. Carry it from one room to another to measure temperature of each of the rooms. Leave it in each room for several minutes to enable the thermometer to adjust accordingly.
D. Ascertain that the prevailing temperature in all the rooms as measured by the thermometer is consistent with the temperature indicated on the air conditioner’s thermostat. This is the most effective way of confirming the proper functioning (or lack thereof) of the thermostat as well as the whole air conditioner. If there is variation between the two sets of measurement, ask a technician to investigate what the problem is and fix it accordingly.
Pooling water issues and how to fix them
1. Check if there are any leaks in the tube where water is pooling. You should seriously consider replacing the whole tube if you find any cracks, leaks or holes.
2. Look for the drain where condensed water usually drains into. The floor drains is usually fixed near the condensation pipes. You can find these pipes near the air conditioner’s central unit.
3. If you discover that water pools on top of the drain, get rid of debris or any other foreign materials found on the drain.
4. Pour some water onto the condensation drain-pan. Switch on the air conditioner and carefully watch the condensation pump as it starts working. Ideally, it should pump out all water in the drain. If the pump fails to get rid of all the water, it is a clear indication that the drain pump is overfilling, and the pump needs to be replaced by a certified technician in the shortest time possible.
Straightening the fins
Inhibition of the flow of air through the fins usually reduces the unit’s efficiency. It’s therefore important to carefully straighten any bent fins using special tools. You should be careful while doing this because carelessness may cause extensive damage of the embedded tube.
Repairing/ replacing the blower filter
When you move into a new building that is located in a dusty area, the first important step that you should take as a tenant is to repair/ replace the blower filter. The new filter used in replacement should have the right airflow rating.
Additional measures that must be taken to ensure that an air conditioner is properly serviced
1. The amperage and voltage of the in-built electrical motor within the unit must be tested. The air that flows through the cooling coils must also be tested to establish the speed and temperature.
2. Apply lubrication oil on all moving parts. Friction reduces the efficiency of an air conditioner and also enhances wear and tear.
Aircon servicing guide: qualifications and knowledge of technicians
As a tenant, you may be tempted to service an air conditioner by yourself because of various reasons. You should only attempt this if you have the required expertise in the installation, maintenance, servicing, relocation and/or removal of air conditioners.
If you don’t have the requisite expertise, then you should only undertake the work with the help of a qualified, knowledgeable and experienced technician. If you try to do the work on your own, you may cause severe damage to the equipment. You also risk sustaining serious injuries as a result of electric shock.
It’s therefore important for a tenant to seek the direction and/or expertise of a certified technician who has the requisite qualifications and knowledge in the in the installation, maintenance, servicing, relocation and/or removal of air conditioners.
Ideally, the air conditioner should be serviced when you and/or the technician has worn one or more of the following protective gear: safety gloves, protective clothes, insulated shoes and helmet.
This is a detailed Aircon Servicing Guide that cannot be complete without a list of safety precautions. The following are precautionary measures that must be taken before/ while servicing an air conditioner.
1. The service manual should be carefully read and understood before commencement of the process, and the air conditioner must be serviced according to the provided instructions.
2. The unit should only be serviced by a qualified person. If servicing is done by an unqualified individual, problems such as fire, water leaks, injury or electric shock my rise.
3. Electrical wiring should never be tampered with. Tampering with the electrical wiring may cause short circuiting or electrocution.